Home building contract services
If you are going to enter into a contract to build or renovate your home you will want the work done:
- on time
- on budget
- free of defects
- in accordance with the plans
We can help you make sure that the words of the contract require that you get those things.
You will need help in negotiating the terms of the contract, even if the builder is using one of the standard form contracts. This is because:
- The builder has entered into these building contracts many times and knows how to protect his own interests. You have probably never even seen a standard home building contract before.
- The standard home building contract is usually one prepared by his own association, such as the Master Builders Association or the Housing Industry Association, and has been drafted to suit his interests, not yours.
- Even if the contract the builder is proposing to use is the Office of Fair Trading Contract, it can be manipulated to unfairly favour the builder because how the dotted lines of the standard form contract are filled out can radically affect your interests. See our Comments on Standard Form Home Building Contracts
- If, on the other hand, the builder is proposing to use his own form of contract then you will really need help. There are some extraordinarily unfair contracts currently being used by some builders.
- You have a huge amount of money at stake and you can't afford to have things go wrong.
If you'd like help in negotiating your home building contract, you can contact us through the contact form link on the right or call Peter Merity on (02) (9689 3992) by clicking on the button. You may also email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org